It’s been a mad life, both in WWE and in real life so your daily dose of WWE critique and recap is a day late. It’s been an incredibly interesting week with a lot of good moments and a lot of SummerSlam set up. RAW and SmackDown both felt a lot fresher than usual, despite there being some incredibly cheesy moments to contend with too. Let’s waste no more time and get into what happened when WWE came to play this week.
– RAW opened up with a lot of 24/7 Title nonsense. We had a mosh pit match that saw R Truth vs Drake Maverick that ended with Truth winning. However he doesn’t keep the title as Mike Kanellis wins the title moments later. He doesn’t get to keep it either though as his pregnant wife, Maria bests him for the title, becoming the first pregnant women’s champion.
– Next up was a US Title contendership gauntlet match which was won by Ricochet after he beat Andrade who beat Mysterio who beat Sami Zayn and Cesaro.
– War Raiders killed another team of jobbers. When the hell are they going to do anything meaningful? They were NXT Tag champs for Christ sake, let them do something impactful.
– Gallows and Anderson beat The Usos and The Revival to win the RAW tag titles. They won with a Magic Killer and join their stablemate AJ Styles as champions.
– Becky Lynch fights both Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross in separate matches as Alexa suffers an “ankle injury” during her match. When Lynch beats Cross with the Man Handle Slam, the pair jump her and attack. Natalya picks the bones of Lynch by locking her in the Sharpshooter.
– Seth Rollins gets completely destroyed by Brock Lesnar. Brock drills him with an F5 onto a chair that sees Seth coughing up blood and Heyman begging Brock to stop. All of this whilst the crowd cheers. This didn’t stop backstage as Brock stops the ambulance carrying Seth away and F5’s him onto the stretcher as a brawl breaks out between Roman and Joe and a bunch of other people on the card.
– The Samoan Summit doesn’t happen as Samoa Joe attacks Roman before this promo can happen. They brawl then Cedric Alexander and Drew brawl. Everything goes nuts then the faces stroll away with the win when the Usos join the fray.
– THERE WAS NO SHANE MCMAHON ON SMACKDOWN. Kevin Owens was certainly happy to celebrate the fact he was not there. His celebration of the Bosses absence brought out Drew McIntyre and the pair get into a fight, leading to an impromptu match. The pair have and excellently violent match and KO wins with the Stunner. Yes, Drew lost but it was in an awesome match so I don’t care.
– Ali defeats IC Champion Shinsuke Nakamura via Roll Up. Whilst I’m happy Ali is back on TV and winning, I’m sick of seeing Nakamura lose. He’s a champ, let him feel like one for a few weeks at least. Is that too much to ask?
– Bayley and Ember Moon are defeated by Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross as Bliss hits the Twisted Bliss on Ember Moon. Bayley looks like she’s attending to her fallen teammate but instead she hits her with a Bayley to Belly. It’s not a good night to be Ember Moon.
– Dolph Ziggler defeats Finn Balor when The Fiend drops by to remind Finn of his existence. After the match, Rambling Rabbit gives Finn a warning about who he’s going to be fighting. He is once again about to spill some beans on the Firefly Funhouse, Bray Wyatt comes in to scare him off.
– Charlotte Flair challenges Trish Stratus to a match at SummerSlam. That should be fun.
– Kofi Kingston defeats AJ Styles via Trouble in Paradise, the worst finisher ever. This felt like a pointless main event with no stakes at all. Plus neither man could really afford to eat a loss.
– Someone tries to murder Roman Reigns by dropping scaffolding on him. Lucky for him, he is able to get out of the way and looks on in shock.
– NXT opened with Jaxson Ryker vs Tyler Breeze. Ryker had a clear power advantage and mostly man handled Breeze. Breeze comes back with some Enziguris and rolls up Ryker for the win. The Forgotten Sons beat down Breeze post-match bringing back his long-time tag partner Fandango to a rapturous reaction. Also, to quote Booker T at Fandago, “you’re looking real jacked man.”
– The breakout tournament continued with Bronson Reed taking on Cameron Grimes. It’s a very stiff match, full of strikes that sees Grimes pull out the Double Stomp out of nowhere. He faces Jordan Myles in the finals of the Breakout Tournament.
– Shayna Baszler storms to the ring and demands a mic. She talks about Mia Yim’s message and addresses Yim attack both of her stablemates from behind. After some jaw jacking from Baszler, Mia Yim comes out with a mic of her own. Yim threatens her with a fight she can’t train for and the two end on a stare down after Baszler called Yim street trash.
– Yet again Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong have another epic match. Another clash of stiff strikes ridiculous spots and finger breaking. Dunne withstands the 20 minute plus slug fest and wins with the finger breaking submission. Must watch match of NXT right here. Dream comes out post-match only to have his fingers broken and to be hit with the Bitter End.
So, there you have it, another edition of WWEekly done and dusted. As you can see, it looks like WWE is at least trying to improve their product and give us some new champs and storylines. I’m not sure how much of the pregnant champ I can stomach but hey, it’s at least interesting to see the belt used in interesting ways. SmackDown too felt like more than a B show for once and NXT was as good as always. It once again delivers an amazing main event and promises one hell of a TakeOver on the horizon. Same with SummerSlam actually.